Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Boulevard Road Race 2013


 Ventured into California this past weekend to race for the first time in my cycling career; I made it a good one.
It was a six hour drive from our condo in Mesa to the small “resort” in Boulevard, CA. It wasn’t a resort at all..in fact it was the worst night of sleep I have ever had before a race to date. Note to all; never assume that the hotel will have extra blankets. Willy and I slept on the air mattress and endured one of the coldest nights ever. After getting a womping couple hours of sleep we woke up at 6 in the morning and made some oatmeal, which has quickly become a staple in my teams diet. Cheap, quick, and good for you…just wish I liked it more..big bowl of snot. Anyways, after breakfast we realized that we didn’t race till 12:40, we still had 6 hours.
I would say there are two things that really kill me before a race.
First, warming up. Its one thing to be getting a good warm up in before a time trail, it’s a whole different thing to be spinning aimlessly around a parking lot or side road before a crit, or better yet a 90+ mile road race just asking to get a flat.
Second, waiting for a race. Pro1 races are most often started late in the day and even sometimes as late as 10pm; this kills me! You basically spend the entire day waiting for this one moment, its all you think about, all you prep for, your entire day now. Think kitting up early will help? Umm no. just means you spend more time in your spandex. Think taking your time peeing will help? No. you will still need to pee right before the start. Nothing worse then already being kitted up 2 hours before a race; this is exactly what Team Gateway did ha.
Boulevard has gained popularity within the SoCal region and attracted a good amount of talent this year, including 16 of the U23 National team fresh from team camp. The course is rolling with a solid down hill section and an up hill section as well. For the first few laps many groups attempted to break free of the field; this also included several splits that were scarily close to breaking off. Going into the beginning of the 3rd lap one man had gotten off from the field, Michael Olheiser had put a few min on a field that had decided that one man was no threat.
Being on the front I found that the field was letting me roll off, I went into tempo mode and put some time on the climb. Not much later a US National team and Livestrong Rider, Lawson Craddock bridged to me and we formed a two man break to get to the lone rider ahead. After a solid lap of burying ourselves, rotating at an all out pace we made it to the feed zone and thus the final lap of the race.
Not having gotten a successful feed to that point I new that I needed two bottles. Grabbed one.
Alright one to go.
I motioned that I needed another bottle to our second feeder. This mistake that happened next I will take most of the credit for, I rushed a feeder who had little experience in the feed zone. As I grabbed the bottle he did the one thing that you can never do as a feeder, hold on to the bottle. I was pulled right, I then overcorrected left and went down. By this point I had been off the front of the race for over 20 miles going all out and had just gone down, I wasn’t really hurt, but ether way lets just say it took everything I had not to be disrespectful or yell out in frustration. I tried calmly to collect myself and bridge back up to Lawson, this took a little effort on my part and can only regret that I wasted a little energy there, but once I rejoined my breakaway partner we once again started rotating to find the man who had just been given a little break by my misfortune.
A few miles later we did catch Mike and then started to rotate the three of us. After a while and getting splits from the moto it was clear that we were all gased and new that the chase would soon catch us, so we sat up a little and waited. When the chase group did catch us, it was like a gunshot went off and attacks flew and all I could do was hold on to what I could after such a long time working in the break. I found myself in the back group of the chase consisting of three riders, Ty Magner, Kenneth Hanson, and a Hispanic rider that I did not recognize. We had 3 k to go and were on the final climb, I knew I had nothing left for the sprint and was so ready for the race to be done that I wasn’t about to play end of the race games, so I tempo’d the remaining bits of the climb and waved the boys behind me around with 300 meters to go. I rolled through the finish, very much dehydrated, utterly and totally exhausted, but happy. Its moments and races like these were you know you are doing what you love, pushing your body beyond where it naturally can go, I love it, and I will continue to do push my body to that point till I cant anymore.

A few final notes. During the break we had two things yelled at us that struck me.
The first was while rotating with Lawson we had a man yell at him saying “you are doping!” What? You felt the need to say this because he is on a team that was associated with a man who recently came out as a doper? You are a fool. This is disrespectful to a racer that has worked hard in the sport just like the rest of us. Doping happens in our sport and hopefully someday that will change, but making accusations about something you know nothing about wont help this change. Bike racing should be a sport that people feel safe within, and you screaming at us while we are pouring our heart and soul into a race doesn’t help. The chance of that man reading this is very unlikely, but who knows.
The second thing that happened was a man on the course from the masters field asking us if we were pros. While at the time it seemed like a very silly thing of him to ask, now looking back on it, it makes me proud to be racing against such a high level of athlete and to have the opportunity to do so. Thank you for all of those who do this sport an amazing favor and support those they can. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment