Thursday, April 25, 2013

Rouge Roubaix. Saying Hello and Goodbye


Rouge Roubaix. Saying Hello and Goodbye

Its been what felt like ages since the last time I was able to see the south, see the swamps, my family, my friends, and my old dogs. The Rouge Roubaix is always something I had heard of, but it had always been to early and conflicted with school for me to attend, this year I made it a point to change that.
Rouge Roubaix: a 109 mile race in the early part of the year that had multiple gravel sections that you never know what condition they will be in, from what I heard this year was one of the worst.
I arrived in Louisiana a few days before the race to spend time with my dad and Sarah, it was of course very great to see them and brought back great memories. I then drove out to the race and stayed the night with a good friend of mine, Stephen Mire and a few racing buddies of his. We awoke the next morning, had our respected oatmeal and coffee and headed on out to the race start.
This race was not only special to me because of its prestige, but because it was the first time I had been home since a friend of mine was struck and killed by an SUV. He got struck on a ride that had been on thousands of times before. Justin Addison was a strong, young, eager, and incredibly kind person who I got to know during my summers in Covington, LA. His passing was a big blow during a key time of my training, it forced me to stop and ask myself if all of this is worth it.
 It took me a while, but I finally came to the conclusion that he was doing what he loved to do, as I do. He was riding just for the fun of it one late afternoon, doing a little sprint just to feel the rush as I often do; these are the moments we live for. So as long as I hold on to the love for riding my bike, then every race, every moment I put everything on the line for is worth it. At the exact moment I came to this conclusion I remembered something Justin had told me while we were riding together, he said that someday he would beat me in a race, and I believed him. He always aspired to race and I new that was something I could still give him, with working with his mother, a good friend of both Justin’s and myself, Kyle Boudreaux, I was able to receive a trinket that belonged to Justin which I will carry at all races I do all over the country and possibly the world. You will be with me Justin and get to see the world and still ride your bike as fast as ever. And it all started with a long gravel race in his backyard of Louisiana.
 Some big boys made the drive out to do the Rouge this year, three boys from the Hincapie Pro Squad came out including Ty Magner, who I had already done some gravel training rides with in years past and new he would be riding well. Mike O. came out who has won the race on several occasions, and then some pro cross racers decided to give it a go as well. A change in the course brought the gravel section a little sooner then years past so it was just trying to get good position from the start. When we made the right hand turn into the gravel and felt our wheels sink, it instantly became clear what the day would look like. Pushing furiously on the pedals we tore up the first gravel section, rider after rider pulled off due to flats, but then finally I could see the end of the first gravel section! But as fait would have it I looked down and felt that my rear tire had gone flat, a brand new tire, never ridden, couldn’t hold up to the rouge.
The race for me would be a long one, jumping from chase group to chase group, but I would never again see the lead group. The other gravel sections proved even more testing, three times I had to get off and walk my bike for I could not find traction in the inches of sand or gravel on the steep punchy climbs that I didn’t even know existed in Louisiana. I race my bike for a living, as do several riders who had to get off and walk that day…everyone needs a race a two to bring them down a level. This was an early season race that tested me up and beyond what I expected, while I only pulled in in 16th place, I was satisfied and helped myself to a good ol Louisiana beer that I had been craving for so long. To all those that have never done the rouge, do it for you have never done anything like it. But for myself I will try and remind myself every year to never do it again…try is the key word.
I will always miss the south and think fondly of my time spent there. I very much hope to be back soon. But for now, Justin and I will race my bike in all the places we can muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment