Monday, June 3, 2013

Its not about the Bike


“Twelve Weeks.  32 days of racing. 4 Pro1 stage races.  3 NRC Stage Races. 1 NRC Crit.

For a veteran pro this amount of racing would seem like a normal start to the year. To me however, this early season schedule is more then I have ever experienced, and close to more racing then I did last year in total. I have learned and been through more in these last twelve weeks then I have in the last year since I got my 1 upgrade and started racing at this level. One year ago I placed fourth overall in the exact race I am attending at this very moment: Joe Martin Stage Race. After the 2nd stage I sent in my upgrade and then received confirmation in a few hours, crazy to think how far I have come since then and how far I hope to go from here.
Yesterday was the first day of the NRC Joe Martin Stage Race. It starts with a short uphill TT, a tt that I would normally expect to do well in, however it was not my day. I went off the start ramp with a mindset of not caring if I went hard or not, I instantly new this was going to be bad. If there is on thing I have learned this year its to race at a pro level you must always have an eagerness and a drive to put everything on the line and to push yourself beyond all limits. For some reason or another yesterday was not a day where I had it. Who knows if its because my mind and body needs a rest…or maybe it was just the day…but ether way my mind has always been my obstacle.”

This was an entrée into my journal several weeks ago during the final leg of my mid season racing block. Since then I went from Joe Martin to Gila where I got some decent results but was a little disappointed to not come away with a victory. The race was beautiful and one of the best ive ever done. But on completion of that race I wanted nothing more then to just not ride my bike for a week, and that’s exactly what I did. Didn’t touch it, barely even looked at it except to pass it every time I came in and out of the house. There is something in cycling that every cyclist avoids like the plaque, being burnt out.
            Cycling is such a time commitment and mental strain that an athlete can only take high load and intensity for so long before it tips over the scale. In my own case I believe that I am able to take a little less then most. Every athlete is different; every athlete has gifts and weaknesses to push themselves towards their goals, or away from them. One of my weaknesses is needing a lot of mental rest from racing. I thrive on relaxing, taking it easy and enjoying life, but in contrast I also freak if I do this for too long. I have learned to deal with this situation by making a point to stop and look around, get off the bike and ask myself what else there is to see.  One thing that always comforts me about going all out towards this bike-racing thing is that there is always far more to life then bike racing.
            Take my advice, live in the best way possible for you. But always stop to ask yourself if you are too focused on one thing to really live. This will help take the stress off that one big thing and maybe you will be able to enjoy it that much more.

1 comment: